How to prepare for exam day and the computer-based certification exam.
Before exam day:
- Complete the 100 practice test questions for your speciality, which offers the same computer-based testing (CBT) environment used by the Pearson VUE exam centre.
- Ensure that you have booked an exam time and location with Pearson Vue and received your Pearson Vue booking confirmation. For detailed instructions on how to book your exam, see the CNA CBT candidate test centre scheduling guide [PDF, 255.8 KB].
- Confirm that your booking confirmation has the same first and last names as the two pieces of identification (ID) you will be using on exam day (see below for details). Confirm that your exam specialty is correct.
On exam day:
- Arrive to the exam centre at least 15-20 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, you may be refused admission.
- Bring two pieces of ID:
- Primary (must contain a photo):
- Valid/current driver’s licence
- Valid/current passport
- Valid/current military identification card
- Valid/current provincial or territorial identification card
Note: Food and drink are not accepted in the CBT testing room. However, you are allowed a 5-minute health break if you need to eat or drink something.
CBT exam tips:
- Think positively
- Read all instructions
- Read each question carefully
- Anticipate the answer before looking at the options
- Eliminate all obviously wrong answer options
- Click the correct answer on the computer screen (which will highlight your selected answer)
- Be sure to answer all the questions
- Budget your time: you will have four hours (240 minutes) to complete 160-165 questions, which means just under 1.5 minutes per exam question
No results will be available at the exam test centre. Marking the CNA certification exam is a rigorous review process designed to ensure that each certified nurse meets our high standards. Our testing consultants at Yardstick-Assessment Strategies Inc. apply a statistical analysis on each exam and review performance results to be sure that the pass mark is fair and valid. This process takes a few weeks to complete for all 21 exams.
Your exam results will be emailed to you three weeks after the exam’s last day of administration; your results will also be posted on MyCNA. Your results will be reported as pass or unsuccessful. Your CNA official result package will be mailed at a later date.