The call for nominations for the Employer Recognition Award is open from September 15, 2017, to January 30, 2018.
SUBMIT A NOMINATION
Read the Call for Nominations for more information.
Each year, CNA gives one health-care facility the Employer Recognition Award for exemplary, sustained support of the certification program and CNA-certified RNs. The award ensures employers — both the recipient and those who receive honourable mentions — receive public recognition for their efforts. The award includes acknowledgement in journals such as Canadian Nurse, in nursing conference materials and on the CNA website.
Congratulations to our 2017 recipient!
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences: Ontario Shores is a public teaching hospital providing a range of services to those living with complex and serious mental illness. The facility supports RNs in attaining certification because it believes that one of the hallmarks of a professional practice environment is access to continuous learning and professional development opportunities. It begins with a targeted communications campaign to promote certification and encourage staff to apply. They go on to deliver workshops and drop-in programs, provide full reimbursement of the certification exam cost, and offer two full days of exam preparation, including writing practice sessions. It’s all reflective of the health centre’s practice culture, where nurses feel supported in providing evidence-informed care while enjoying a good work-life balance.
Honourable mentions went to the following employers:
- Eastern Health: For close to a decade, Eastern Health has supported hundreds of RNs to complete their CNA certification and re-certification. The Newfoundland and Labrador health organization offers its nurses financial support and actively supports practice environments that embrace continuous learning.
- St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton, Mental Health and Addiction Program: St. Joseph’s has a long history of supporting RNs to develop their specialty knowledge. The Ontario organization provides nurses with financial and other assistance to pursue certification and also helps them disseminate their work at conferences and through academic journals. In addition to helping nurses achieve CNA certification, St. Joseph’s fosters overall excellence in practice and care.
- 2015 Pierre-Le Gardeur Hospital
- 2014 Leisureworld Senior Care Corporation
- 2013 Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- 2012 Hill House Hospice
- 2011 Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2010 Jewish General Hospital
- 2009 Jewish Eldercare Centre
- 2008 Bloorview Kids Rehab
- 2006/2007 Saint Elizabeth Health Care
- 2005 St. Michael’s Hospital
- 2004 The Scarborough Hospital
- 2003 McGill University Health Centre
- 2002 Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
- 2001 Halton Healthcare Services
- 2000 Network North, The Community Mental Health Group
- 1999 Mount Sinai Hospital