The call for nominations is now open!
The deadline for submitting nominations is February 15, 2023.
Criteria for directors
In addition to the requirements of the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, all candidates for the CNA board of directors shall meet the requirements set out in CNA’s by-laws and board policy.
In addition, candidates must:
- Be individuals over the age of 18 years who have not been declared incapable by a court and who do not have the status of bankrupt.
- Hold an active CNA membership.
- Not be a current employee or independent contractor of CNA or family member of same.
- Be able to attend three board meetings per year (one day each), in March, June and November, special meetings, and monthly meetings, as required. Meetings will be a combination of virtual and in-person.
Composition of board
CNA encourages nurses from diverse backgrounds to be candidates for board directors. CNA is seeking a board that informs dialogue and supports strong decision-making, reflects CNA membership and the community CNA members serve, and has the ability to identify and question biases. The board should therefore reflect the following criteria:
- Representation from the four regulated nursing categories, including retired nurses, and students in programs leading to careers in the four regulated categories
- Diverse nursing practice experiences, backgrounds, and specialties
- Diverse identity representation from a variety of ethnic, language, gender, and cultural and historical backgrounds and perspectives
- Indigenous voices to ensure that deliberations and decisions are informed by, and include and respect, Indigenous perspectives
- Geographic diversity to reflect the reality that practice environments and access to health care vary throughout the country’s provinces, territories, Indigenous communities, and six time zones
- Internationally educated nurses
Process for nominations of the directors
- In January of each year in which the election of directors is required (or such other time), the nominating committee will make an assessment, based on the current board, as to what criteria needs to be targeted in the call for nominations to meet the board composition requirements. The nominating committee, in consultation with CNA staff, shall issue a call for nominations for candidates for directors. The call for nominations shall include a date by which nominations must be received to be considered by the nominating committee.
- The nominating committee shall meet by electronic means in early March of every year (or such other time) to review the nominations against the criteria and prepare the slate of nominations for review and approval by the board. The slate of nominations shall be forwarded to the board prior to the March board meeting.
- The slate of nominations shall be provided to CNA members at least 21 days before the annual meeting of members.
Filling a vacant position
If a vacancy occurs in the office of director for any reason other than a failure to elect a sufficient number of directors at the annual meeting of members or an increase in the number of directors permitted by the CNA by-laws, the board will appoint a replacement, as follows:
- The nominating committee shall circulate a special call for nominations to the directors, CNA members and, if applicable, to the public via CNA’s communication channels. The call for nominations shall include a date by which nominations must be received to be considered by the nominating committee.
- Immediately following the deadline for receipt of nominations, the nominating committee shall meet by electronic means to review the nominations against the criteria and shall select a candidate to fill each vacancy on the board. The candidates selected will be recommended to the board for appointment.
- In accordance with the federal not-for-profit act, the board shall appoint a replacement director to fill each vacancy. A director so elected shall serve only for the remainder of their predecessor’s term.
The call for nominations shall include a requirement that each proposed candidate provide the following:
- A completed nomination form, including the statement of philosophy and platform message.
- Biographical information
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- A current colour photo
- Five letters of support from CNA members